Syntax & Salt: Stories
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
- All submissions must be completely absent of identifying information or they will be rejected without being read.
- For the sake of formatting, we do prefer standard manuscript formatting. You can find an example here. Remember to remove ALL identifying information from your submission manuscript.
- That does mean Times New Roman or Courier, 12pt., double-spaced. We won't probably reject you out right for deviations, unless you submit in comic sans -- that's just not ok. Real talk, double-spacing makes life a lot easier for our readers. Be nice to our readers.
- We are indifferent to cover letters -- if you send one, we just want to know what you're submitting, and the length of your submission. A brief third person bio can be included, or we'll ask for one upon acceptance.
- One submission at a time please, and give us 24 hours after we've sent you a response to submit again. You are welcome to submit four times in a year.
- We will respond within 90 days of submission letting you know if your piece has been accepted, held over, or if we've decided to pass. Please do not query until that time has passed.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please note in your cover letter if your piece is a simultaneous submission, and if it is accepted elsewhere, please notify us immediately.
- Use the Submittable link below.
- Don’t forget: remove all identifying information.
- Syntax & Salt pays $10USD by PayPal for each story, regardless of length, with the exception of one Editor’s Choice story per issue, which will garner a $25USD payment via PayPal. Payment is guaranteed within 10 business days of the current issue going live.
- Syntax & Salt supports and welcomes stories by and about individuals of all ages, classes, disabilities, ethnicities, genders, nationalities, races, religions, and sexual orientations.
- Syntax & Salt purchases first worldwide English-language serial and electronic rights. Each story we purchase will be published on syntaxandsalt.com in an electronic quarterly issue. We may also excerpt stories for promotional purposes. The author retains all other rights.